Monday’s Recovery

It’s the first day of Fall Break 2018, and it started at 1:11 a.m. for me. I woke up to those burns on my arms from the Holy Sheet obstacle at the Savage GA, Fall 2018 edition. See below. This was my 20th or so attempt, and the 3rd time I’d tried the “chicken wing” approach. I’m pretty sure I’d have made it across had it been my 1st attempt, and had I not taken 22 attempts on the Twirly Bird, but that’s another story. Thanks, Jacob, for taking this video!

So, I ended the race just a fire jump and two obstacles later, and boy, were my arms on fire! These pics are from today.

Anyways, I’d told myself I’d break away from the fatigue and inflammation the last four weeks and five races had ravaged on my body. Starting Monday. With three weeks until another race, it was a good week to get back to twice a day trainings and lots of rest.

I read an entire book in less than 24 hours.

But I digress…I awoke to my arms itching like crazy, because David and I thought it a bright idea to put antibacterial cream on my wounds and wrap them in plastic food wrap, to prevent them from drying out and weeping, intermittently, like they had the night before.

Well, fail.

I went to the kitchen and cut the plastic off, and the stench of held in yuck was disgusting. I went in search of more antibiotic cream, and slathered it on.

Back to bed.

I can’t tell you how many times I woke up to my arms sticking to the sheets.

Gross, yes, but this is the life of obstacle course racing. It’s not clean and pretty like road racing.

Okay, so for today’s workout, which may be why you’re still reading, was a strength routine followed by cardio.

I have a Beachbody on Demand subscription, which I highly suggest if you are normally working out or training from home. No, I’m not a coach and I don’t get paid anything to say that.

Today I chose “Total Body Chisel” from the Hammer and Chisel Deluxe program list. It was over in 35 minutes, and I was sweating like only weight training does to me.

I could definitely tell that my grip and forearms were not recovered, so I stuck to 10 and 15 pound dumbbells.

Next, I got on the treadmill. Not a major fan, but it’s a necessity if I want to stay off the concrete yet get incline work in.

I stuck to 3 minute intervals, starting at a 2.5 incline and a 6.0 speed. Nice a d easy, and I went up 2.5 to 5 incline every 3 minutes, and went to 5.5 at a 10 incline, 5.0 at 12.5, and 4.5 at 15.

There ya go! Got home and made me a big omelet of four egg whites and one full egg, with a cheese stick, spinach, and tofu.

Lots of water.

On to my next book, and I’m halfway through it already.

Guess it’s time to grade those papers for awhile…


One thought on “Monday’s Recovery

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s